Zerodha is one of the top stock brokers in India. The company, in no time, has acquired more than 3 million customers due to its advanced and cost-effective trading platform. Their lucrative brokerage charges, advanced charts and tools are attracting retail as well as institutional investors. If you would like to open your Demat account then you can certainly think of Zerodha. Here in this post, I will be taking you through Zerodha account opening process along with a detailed review.
As you may already know if you would like to start trading, be it intraday, swing, or long term, you would need three things which are; Demat Account, Trading Account, and Savings Account. Zerodha offers you 3-in-1 account, actually 2-in-1, you should have a bank savings account.
What is more fascinating is that Zerodha account opening process only takes your 15 minutes. Yes, within 15 minutes, your trading account application will be completed and within the next 48 hours you will get your client ID and password and you will be onboard.
Zerodha account opening process
Zerodha account opening documents
Before you start following the process, you will be required to gather some documents which you will be required to provide to Zerodha for account verification. Documents include your PAN Card, income proof and the like.
Here are the list of Zerodha account opening documents you are supposed to have before you jump in:
- PAN Card in JPEG format (PDF is not accepted)
- Bank account details: This bank account will be linked to your Zerodha Demat and trading account.
- 6 months bank statement or cancelled cheque for income proof. To activate commodity segment, you will need to provide your income proof. It can be your last 6 months bank statement or salary slip.
- Signature in JPEG format: Sign on a blank paper and then capture photo using your mobile phone and then crop the image and upload.
- For Zerodha online account opening, your mobile number should be linked to your Aadhaar Card. If your account number is not linked to your Aadhaar Card then don’t worry just click on Zerodha new account opening link given below and enter your mobile number and email address. That’s it. Zerodha team will call and help you in account opening. Alternatively you can fill form given below, I will arrange a Zerodha salesperson’s phone call for you.
- Also, you will be required to capture your image along with a code (will be shown on your device screen).
- Apart from that you must have a debit card or an internet banking account (UPI and mobile wallet option is also available) to pay Zerodha account opening charges.
Grabbed documents? Okay then just follow the mentioned Zerodha Demat account opening procedure to open your account online.
Watch this embedded video and follow the step-by-step procedure to open your Demat account in Zerodha. I have explained each and every point briefly so you won’t face any issue. Again, as mentioned, if you face any issue then fill the form given below, I will help you open your account.
Zerodha account opening process online
- Visit official Zerodha website.
- Once you reach on Sign up page, enter mobile number which you want to link to your Zerodha account and press Continue button.
- Next, a one time password will be sent to your entered mobile number. Simply, enter the OTP in given field and click on Continue.
- On the next page, you will be asked to provide an active email address to link to your Zerodha account. Enter your Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo or other email account and press Continue.
- This time an OTP will be sent to your email address. Just login to your email and enter the high security password in the asked field and hit Continue.
- Enter your PAN Card number and Date of Birth, then press Continue.
- Now we have reached to payment page where you will be required to pay Zerodha annual maintenance charges. Also, here you have options to select the segments of your choice in which you would like to trade. What I suggest you is select all the segments. By doing so you will be able to trade in equity, commodity, and currency segments.
- After selecting preferred trading segments, select a payment method, because all of us have ATM-cum-Debit cards therefore I am going to make payment using my ATM card.
- Click on Pay & Continue.
- Click on Card option and then enter your debit card details.
- Press Pay button once you enter all the details.
- A one time password will be sent to mobile number linked to bank account. Enter the OTP and press Make Payment button.
- Select your Marital status. Enter your parents name. And then under Background, provide your income details and occupation.
- Next if you are linked to a political party then select Yes or simply choose No. Then click Continue.
- Enter your bank account details including IFSC Code. Scroll down and tick the check boxes to agree to the terms and conditions. You can read the same before jumping to next Zerodha account opening step. Click Continue once you enter all the details.
- On the next page, click ‘Allow’ to open your webcam and then grab a white paper and write verification code showing on your computer screen. Then capture a photo along with the code to complete Zerodha account physical verification process. Confirm if photo is captured correctly.
- Upload your 6 months recent bank account statement or photo of cancelled cheque. While uploading the document, you will be asked to enter password in Password field. If the document you’re uploading is protected with a password then you can enter that in password field otherwise let it blank.
- In income proof section, you can upload your bank statement or salary slip.
- Click on Upload front of Signature and upload your signature file.
- Next, upload photo of your PAN Card in JPEG format (PDF is not accepted).
- After uploading all the documents, click Continue.
- Now we have reached to last step and then our Zerodha account opening process will be completed. For that purpose, click on Esign front of Equity. From the pop-up window, click on Continue under Proceed with Email Verification Code. Next you will be asked to enter one time password sent to your email address in given field. Press Submit once you enter the OTP.
- Tick the checkbox next to, ‘I agree to do eKYC..’ and hit Proceed to eSign.
- Again, tick checkbox and enter your Aadhaar Card number and then press Send OTP button.
- Enter the high security password you received on your mobile number; linked to your Aadhaar Card and press Verify OTP button.
- Click Sign Now.
- Again, repeat the above 3 steps (tick checkbox and enter your Aadhaar Card number and press Send OTP button. Enter the OTP and press Verify button. Note: Do not press refresh button or close the window.) That’s it. Zerodha Demat account opening process for Equity section is successfully completed.
- Now, it is time to repeat the eKYC process but for Commodity section. For that purpose, click on eSign front of Commodity. And repeat all the steps. As I mentioned, steps are same as Equity section; therefore, I should not repeat them.
- Congratulations! You have successfully opened trading and Demat account in Zerodha. Within 48 hours, you will receive your Zerodha account client ID and password.
How to open Demat account in Zerodha through mobile?
If you would like to complete the registration process using your mobile phone then I have published above dedicated video which you can watch to open your Zerodha account using mobile or read the written instructions. Mobile account opening process is almost identical to laptop or computer, the only difference is you use your smartphone.
Steps to open Zerodha account using mobile:
- Click to visit official website of Zerodha.
- Upon clicking on the link, you will land on Sign up page. Enter mobile number and tap Continue.
- Enter the OTP sent to your mobile number in given field and tap Continue.
- Next, enter your Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo or other email address and press Continue.
- Login to your email ID and enter the one time password in the asked field and hit Continue.
- Enter your PAN Card number and Date of Birth, then press Continue.
- It is time to pay Zerodha annual maintenance charges. Also, select the segments in which you would like to trade. What I suggest you is select all the segments. By doing so you will be able to trade in equity, commodity, and currency segments.
- Select a payment method. I am going to make payment using my AMT card.
- Tap Pay & Continue.
- Touch on Card option and then enter your ATM-cum-debit card details.
- Tap Pay button once you the card details.
- Enter the OTP and tap Make Payment.
- Select your Marital status: Single or Married. Enter your parents name. And then under Background, provide your income details followed by occupation.
- Next if you are linked to a political party then select Yes otherwise choose No and tap Continue.
- Provide your bank account details including IFSC Code. Swipe down and tick the check boxes next to the terms and conditions. Tap Continue to go one step ahead in Zerodha Demat account opening process.
- Tap ‘Allow’ to open your phone camera and then write verification code appearing on your device screen on a white paper. Then capture a photo along with the code to complete Zerodha account verification process. If photo is captured correctly, tap Confirm.
- Tap Upload under ‘Copy of cancelled cheque/statement’ and upload your 6 months bank account statement or photo of cancelled cheque. You will be asked to provide password in Password field. If the document you’ve uploaded is protected with a password then you can enter provide that otherwise let it blank.
- Under income proof section, upload same bank statement or salary slip.
- Click on Upload under Signature and upload your signature.
- Next, upload your PAN Card photo in JPEG format (PDF is not accepted).
- Once all documents are uploaded, tap Continue.
- We have almost completed Zerodha account opening process. Tap Esign opposite of Equity. Tap Continue under Proceed with Email Verification Code. Press Submit once you enter the OTP received on your email ID.
- Tick the checkbox next to, ‘I agree to do eKYC..’ and touch Proceed to eSign.
- Once again, tick the checkbox and enter your Aadhaar Card number then press Send OTP.
- Enter the one time password you received on your mobile number and press Verify OTP button.
- Touch Sign Now.
- Again, tick the checkbox and enter your Aadhaar Card number and press Send OTP button. Enter the OTP and press Verify button. Note: Do not refresh or close the window. Ta da! Your Zerodha Demat account opening process for Equity section has been completed successfully.
- Now, tap eSign button opposite to Commodity section and repeat the eKYC process. And repeat all the steps that we have performed for Equity section.
- We’re done. You have successfully completed Zerodha account opening process from your end. Within next 2 working days, you will receive your client ID and password. And then you will be ready to execute your first trade.
Zerodha Demat account opening offline process
Zerodha account can also be opened offline. For that purpose, you will be required to visit your nearest Zerodha office along with above mentioned documents. After visiting the branch, respective salesperson will help you open Zerodha account.
If you are unable to visit the branch personally then don’t worry. Process can also be completed over phone. If you would like then I, as a registered associate, will arrange a Zerodha sales manager phone call for you. All you need to do is fill in the details in the following form and shortly you will get a call from them. They will help you in Zerodha Demat account opening from the very beginning.
Or you can also send your name, mobile number, and email address on my WhatsApp number +91-9463665032. And I will arrange a Zerodha sales manager call for you.
Important note: Only fill the form only for fresh application. If you have already started the process then kindly contact Zerodha customer care to get help in account opening.
Zerodha Demat account opening charges
|Zerodha Annual Maintenance Charges||Amount (₹)|
|For trades on Equity, F&O and Currency||₹200|
|For trades on Equity, F&O and Currency and Commodity (MCX)||₹300|
|Zerodha AMC Charges for Corporate Account||₹1000|
Zerodha Demat account opening charges are ₹200 and ₹100 for equity and commodity sections respectively. If you would like to open both accounts then you will be required to pay total ₹300 as Zerodha annual maintenance charges in total. No other hidden charges which means you can open your Demat account in just ₹300.
Zerodha also charges very fair brokerage. For one trade which includes buy as well as sell order, you only pay ₹40 (₹20 for buy and ₹20 for sell). Apart from that, other government taxes are also applicable.
Like other brokerage firms, Zerodha does not charge brokerage for delivery orders. Furthermore, mutual fund investment is also immune from brokerage charges.
|Equity Delivery Trades||₹0 (No Brokerage for Delivery)|
|Equity Intraday & Futures||0.03% or ₹20 per order whichever is lower|
|Equity Options||Flat ₹20 per order|
|Currency Futures & Options||0.03% or ₹20 per order whichever is lower|
|Commodity Futures & Options||0.03% or ₹20 per order whichever is lower|
|Mutual Fund||₹0 (No Brokerage for Delivery)|
|Call & Trade Charges||₹50 per Order|
Apart from that, following charges will also be applicable on trades:
- 18% GST on brokerage and transaction charges
- SEBI charges: ₹5 per crore by Securities and Exchange Board of India for regulating the markets.
- Depository participant (DP) charges
- Securities Transaction Tax (STT)/Commodity Transaction Tax (CTT)
- Transaction charges
- Stamp charges
Above mentioned charges vary from segment to segment. For more information, visit this Zerodha page.
Zerodha account advantages and disadvantages
Advantages of opening Demat account in Zerodha:
Before you open Demat account in Zerodha, you should be aware of what Zerodha has to offer you in return of the charges you pay. Here are some advantages of using Zerodha platform for trading:
- Zerodha does not charge brokerage for all equity delivery investments (NSE, BSE). You pay zero brokerage for buying and holding stocks. Even when you close your positions, you won’t pay brokerage.
- It has a large customer base of more than 3 million and most of them are retail trades (about 15%). Considering this, you can say it’s a favorite trading platform of retail traders.
- It enables you trade in Futures and Options, Commodity derivatives, Currency derivatives, Stocks & IPOs, Direct mutual funds, Bonds and Govt. Securities.
- For Intraday and F&O trades, you pay flat ₹20 for equity, currency, and commodity trades.
- Mutual Fund direct investment is also absolutely free.
- The platform has two types of charts: ChartIQ and TradingView. TradingView is one of the best charting websites equipped with all advanced tools and indicators you can think of. This is really a big advantage.
- Zerodha trading platform is equipped with many built-in tools and indicators to help you in trading and taking positions.
- Zerodha referral program lets you earn 10% of brokerage paid by your friends; if you refer a friend and also you get 300 points (that you can utilize to pay your Zerodha AMC charges and to get access to paid services).
- Zerodha has more than 120 official branches and partner offices across the country to provide hassle free services.
- It has reasonable number of employees to resolve customer queries on the go. If you would face an issue during a live trade then you can contact customer support to close your positions on your behalf or resolve the issue ASAP.
- Zerodha’s free learning platform, Varsity, gives you access to all the basic information you need to start trading.
- With Zerodha account opening, you get free GTT orders facility for first 3 months. It’s kinda Algo Trading facility where you set buy and sell prices and your trades get executed when set price triggers.
- Call & Trade charges are significantly higher than other discount brokers. In addition to ₹20 brokerage, it charges additional ₹50 per order.
- Its trading platform sometimes (very occasionally) makes bearish candle when actually it’s bullish or vice versa.
- Also, what I personally noticed sometimes it misses very recent low or high at lower time frames.
- Above two disadvantages that I mentioned occur very seldomly but I noticed therefore it’s my duty to bring it to your notice.
How to check Zerodha account opening status?
Once you complete Zerodha Demat account opening process from your side, it ideally takes 24-48 hours before you receive your client ID and password. To check your Zerodha account opening status, follow the steps given below:
- Visit Zerodha website.
- Enter your mobile number and then enter the OTP and press Continue button.
- On the next page, you will be able to see your account status.
- If you’re asked to provide additional documents then you will see upload documents button.
Over 15 percent Indian retail traders’ first choice is Zerodha. Reasons which make it one of the best trading platforms in India and encourage a new trader open Demat account in Zerodha are advanced trading platform, low brokerage charges, easy to use platform, range of markets (from equity to commodity to currency) and lucrative account maintenance charges.
I personally too appreciate the services they offer. I personally use TradingView charting platform and Zerodha gives me free access to many paid tools for example multi-window feature.
With no time Zerodha has emerged as a one of the largest trading platforms in India due to its services and pocket-friendly charges.
Yes, there are still scope for many improvements but still platform is worth trading.
What I personally suggest, you should have at least two accounts with different brokers so if one faces technical issues you can start trading with another one.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Zerodha offer commodity trading?
Yes, Zerodha lets you trade in commodities.
What is the procedure to open a Demat account in Zerodha?
You can open Demat account in Zerodha online or offline (additional ₹300 will be charged for offline account). What I suggest you is follow the steps given above and open your account online to save ₹300. You can watch above embedded video to know the step-by-step process.
You can fill request a call back form provided above to get a call back from Zerodha. They will help you open your account from the very beginning, just in case you are unable to open your Demat account online.
What are Zerodha AMC charges?
Zerodha AMC charges for one year are ₹300. In my opinion, their annual maintenance charges are very reasonable and of course affordable for everyone. Just in case, you’re an institutional investor then AMC charges will be ₹1000 for you.
How can I reduce charges in Zerodha?
You can take advantage of their referral program which lets you earn 300 points per referral. If your referred friend or family member register using your referral link then you will earn flat 300 points which you can utilize to pay your Zerodha AMC charges or to get access to their paid services.
Does Zerodha charge for Cancelled orders?
No broker including Zerodha charges for cancelled orders. You will only be charged for executed orders. Suppose if you place a limit order and you order price does not trigger or you cancel your order before it gets executed then no charges will be levied for that order.
What is IPV in Zerodha?
In-person Verification is compulsory for every client. Through IPV, brokers verify that real person whose documents have been provided is actually opening account. Earlier IPV in Zerodha was used to done physically but now thanks to technology it can be done remotely.
In online IPV, usually a 4-digit code is shown on your device screen and you will be required to write that code on a white paper and then capture your image with that code.
Is POA necessary for Demat account?
No, Power of Attorney is not mandatory for Demat account.
It’s up to you whether you would like to give POA to your broker or not. Power of Attorney basically is a document that gives your broker the authorization to debit your shares from your Demat account on your behalf when you sell them.
Those who do not give power of attorney to their brokers need to provide CDSL TPIN before they sell their shares.
In earlier days due to the absence of TPIN facility it was mandatory to give POA to brokers but now it’s totally account holder’s choice.
One thing should be noticed here is that TPIN facility is only limited to 1 crore transaction value per day.
Is Zerodha safe?
Zerodha is one of the reputed stock brokers in India. It is a registered member of National Stock Exchange (NSE) and Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) and registered with SEBI (Security & Exchange Board of India) for Cash/Derivatives/Currency Derivatives segments of NSE & BSE.
Here are the registrations of Zerodha:
- Registered member of NSE and BSE.
- Registered for MCX
- SEBI Registered
- Depository Participant using CDSL as the Depository
Note: Above details are obtained from their official website and cross verified by visiting concerned authorities’ websites.
How long does it take to open a Zerodha account?
Online Zerodha account opening process takes up to 15 minutes and once completed successfully it takes 24-48 working hours to get your Demat and trading account activated.
After successful verification, client ID and password will be provided to the client or if there are any discrepancies in provided documents then you can expect further delay in Zerodha Demat account opening.